Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Storytelling, Week 2 The Wedding

Once there was a Princess name Sita who was the most beautiful Princess in the land.  Sita and her family live in the land of Ever After. Their castle was the most beautiful castle you had ever laid eyes on. It stood on top of a gorgeous hill that was dressed with the most beautiful roses and lilies that you could ever think of. They had only the best gardeners so that the castle look it’s best morning, noon, and night.

Today was the day that Princess Sita had longed for. She was going to figure out who she was going to spend the rest of her life with.  Her suitors were first going to pass the test which was the test to see if Sita was attracted to them. If Sita was in fact attracted to them they would move on to the next test.

The next test would be if they were good cooks. They would then prepare their best meal for Sita and her entire family.  Although Sita and her family had their own professional cook they she still needed the security to know that she would be marrying someone who could cook her anything she wanted at the drop of a pin.

Finally, the next and final test would be which suitor could protect her during dangerous times.  They were to shoot a crossbow and see if they could in fact hit a target.  If they could hit the target they would in fact win her heart.

So the tasks began and one gentleman named Rama caught her eye. She knew that she was extremely attracted to him because she couldn’t take her eyes off of him.  Her mother and father had to tell her to give the other men a chance because he was the first suitor that she saw. 

However, all of the other suitors didn’t mean anything because she knew that he was going to be the one that she picked. He was everything that she had ever wanted.

In the end Sita called off the contest and told her family that she had picked Rama because she knew he was the one. He gave her butterflies and there was nothing that anyone else could do that would change that. 


After that, Sita and Rama run off on Rama’s horse for their honeymoon. They end up living happily ever after in the land of Ever After. Sita knew what she wanted and Rama was her perfect pick.  

Rama and Sita 


Authors Note: I chose the wedding story because I was so intrigued with the way that Sita had become so infatuated with Rama.  It was as if they fell in lust and not love. I could't imagine marrying someone and not even known them so I decided to put my own personal twist on the Rama Sita marriage story. 
  

Bibliography: Narayan, R.K (1972) The Ramayana 

3 comments:

  1. I just finished reading your storytelling post for this week, and I really enjoyed your take on it. I liked how you turned it into a competition of different suitors. I agree that in the original story it seemed that they fell into lust and not love, so I enjoyed how you took that aspect and expanded upon it in your story. I believe that the original story did not focus on this story (the wedding) enough so I liked that you went in depth on the subject and gave some details about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kelsey, I really liked your story but I noticed that maybe proofreading slowly out loud might help in a few places because you are switching tenses kind of a lot (name instead of named; live instead of lived if you're doing it in the past tense, which the next sentence with "was" suggests; and look instead of looked all in the first paragraph). I hope you don't think I'm nitpicking, I just really like to proofread and things like that just jump out at me so I thought it might be helpful to point them out to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kelsey,
    My favorite part of your writing is the focus you place on Sita’s fascination for Rama. It is evident that Sita knows what she wants when she call off the entire competition to find a suitor. You enhanced the story by adding tasks that suitors needed to accomplish in order to win Sita’s hand. When I hear stories that require a man to accomplish something in order to get the girl, it makes me think that the female is portrayed as a prize or an object, which isn’t my favorite thing. So, I like that you ended up giving Sita the choice.

    One suggestion I have is to work on word choice. I think the only thing that distracted me was the first paragraph where you used the word beautiful a few times. On the flip side, you did a great job at illustrating the setting and using adjectives.

    ReplyDelete