Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Week 11 Storytelling: Ganesha's Head

Parvati had just gotten home from a long day so she decided to take a bath. She deserved one because she had been working hard lately. She decided she needed some time for relaxation so she went into the bathroom. However, she decided she didn’t want anyone to bother her so she asked Nandi to watch the door to make sure that not a soul would enter to mess with her quiet time. Nandi obeyed and watched the doors while Parvati took her nice relaxing bath. 

All of a sudden, Shiva saw Nandi watching the bathroom door and he asked Nandi to move so he could get into the bathroom. Nandi didn’t want to move at first and he explained that Parvati didn’t want any interruptions she went in the bathroom to simply relax and relieve some stress.
“You can not go in there.” Nandi explained.
Shiva went ahead and pushed through Nandi and went through the bathroom door.
Parvati screamed, “Do not enter I wish to be alone and for no one to enter! Leave me be and turn around this instant!”
Shiva was bumfuzzled why Parvati was acting in such a way he had no clue why she would be wanting to be left alone. 
All of a sudden Parvati was enraged, “Can I not ever get any time to myself?! I am always with someone I never ever have time to myself, and when I ask to be left alone that wish can not be granted”!
Parvati’s feelings were hurt so he ended up closing the door and let Parvati rant by herself. He hoped that she would get over herself and she would be back to normal soon.
 Parvati ended up creating Ganesha because she wanted someone who would only be loyal to her. She had no one who was loyal to her so she knew she had to create as on that was always going to stay true and loyal. 

The next time she went to bathe she asked Ganesha to stand and watch for no one to interrupt her. She knew that this time someone would be loyal to her. Just like clockwork Shiva came home and saw someone strange standing guard next to his wife’s bathroom door.
Ganesha explained, “I am Ganesha, Parvati’s son.”
No, no, no how could this be I am her husband! YOU ARE AN INTRUDER, yelled Shiva screamed.
Out of no where Shiva pulled out an axe and cut Ganesha’s sons head off which instantly killed him.

Parvati heard the ruckus and rushed out of the bathroom with soap still on her body and she began to scream a blood-curdling scream.  

“How could you do this! He is our son, OUR SON! You have got to go find a head to put on our sons body.”
Bibliography: Narayan, R.J. (1978). The Mahabharata
Author's Note: I thought that the story of how Ganesha lost his head was very interesting. Who would have ever thought of a story about a Mother creating a son to later be killed by his father and then who who would end up having an elephants head. I though this was a very interesting story and it was very out there. However, even though it was very out there it was very enjoyable. 

4 comments:

  1. Hello again, I liked your story but there were several errors that you overlooked when you were proofreading. I also would have liked more background information about who Parvati and Nandi were and how Shiva was involved because we didn't actually see that Shiva was her husband until much later and we didn't ever find out who Nandi was. I also would have liked to know what happened after this like what kind of head they found because you don't tell us about the elephant's head until the author's note and I didn't read this story so I had no way of knowing any of this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kelsey,

    I can fully relate to coming home and hoping to find some quiet, ‘me’ time. I think you may want to check the sentence beginning with “She had no one who was loyal...” and considering rewording it – I think you may have a typo in there. I’d have to concur with your claim that this story was “very out there.” Although it was odd, you were quite creative in your retelling of it. Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Kelsey!
    Your story was very creative! I wish you would’ve wrote about Shiva searching for a head for Ganesha. That would have been a very interesting read. But your story was enjoyable and I liked how you described Parvati. I think a lot of people can relate to how she was feeling because I’m sure lots of people really need their alone time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very creative storytelling job. Alone time is crucial sometimes to clear the mind and have clear thoughts. It is very easy to relate with Parvati. Overall nice job

    ReplyDelete